Monday, January 24, 2011

Aaron Copland


Do you know this man?
Do you know his music?

Meet Aaron Copland.
Although I had heard bits and pieces,
it wasn't until collage that
he became one of my favorite composers.

Why? I honestly can't really put it into words.
All I know is that when I hear certain
melodies that he has composed
there is a visceral reaction in my body.
I have on many occasions found myself in
tears because his composition
has found it's way into the
very composition of my body.

So, this last week my piano instructor
gave me the assignment to learn
the music for the
"Coda" of Appalachian Spring.
And although I am so slow,
as the melody cautiously
found a way through my fingers
my vision blurred
and my heart is full because I am
playing music I love.

Listen to what I learning to play here and maybe even treat yourself to
the beauty of Aaron Copland's music:
(it is #17 on the list)

Appalachian Spring: Moderato - Coda - The Copland Collection

Who is your favorite composer??

xo
sarah

ps. I'll give you a full update this week on my tour through the Northwest. What a wonderful time it was!

7 comments:

  1. It was so great to see you, if briefly, when you were visiting! Chopin and Debussy. Just wish I could still play them. I should follow your lead and start taking lessons again, or at least practice a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love Aaron Copland...he truly wrote music that makes me feel deeply that life is good. I think his compositions are made up of progressions that make us feel at home. He is truly THE american composer.

    My favorite, favorite, favorite composer: Arvo Part. He moves me like no other. I love the way he emphasizes silence as well as movement.

    LOVE that you're taking piano lessons!!! I might have to add that Bach is my favorite to play on the piano ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I could pick just one, but if I absolutely HAD to it'd be Stravinsky. Or Charles Mingus. Wait...Bartok.

    No, Stravinsky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait...Astor Piazzolla. His music bleeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes! I've loved the music of Aaron Copeland since for about 15 years. My dad started playing it quite a bit when I was about 15 or so. You're right; it's soooo great. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this everyone! Pat--I love stravinsky too. But I need to introduce myself to Astor Piazzolla and Arvo Part. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Keep them coming...

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a professional violinist, I will tell you that I do love playing Aaron Copeland's music. His melodies are flawless. But [I have to admit] I am not so fond of Stravinsky. What's wrong with me? I know I'm in the minority here....

    (Saw you perform at Marilyn's. You are one talented lady!)

    ReplyDelete