Thursday, January 27, 2011

In it for the Money? part 1



"There are hundreds of dollars to be made playing folk music.."
-Karen Savoca

Over the years of playing music, I've had many conversations
in, out, under, and around the topic of why choose this career?
Most friends I know who are making music for a living
are in a constant dance with debt. It is clear to me, that
anyone who wants to create music and have it be a major part
of their life, did not get lured into the business by
dreams of stock options and fancy cars.
And yet, we live in a society that shows what it
values with the currency of money. I believe that Artists
should be able to work at their skill set and make a living
doing it. So why isn't that a possibility for most in this country?
That being said, there are so many rewarding
aspects to creating music, one of them being the
currency of connection.

I love to perform and therefore touring feeds a part
of why I enjoy this career. But I realized again on
this last Northwest tour, that the gift of being on
the road is the opportunity every night to make a connection.
The connection is not just during the 2 hours on a
stage between performer and audience.
It is the conversations that fill in the gaps
from one show to the next, that is the true gift.

The thoughtful perspective on songwriting
Ryan shares while we make the 5 hour drive to Seattle.
It is the early morning conversation with Brad in
Angeline's coffeehouse about our favorite new artists.
The voices and ideas that fill the hallway in a historic
capitol hill home at 2am with a concert host who has dedicated
seven years of his life to promoting shows for independent songwriters.
The gift of meeting a music loving blogger, marilyn, who beyond
raising organic blueberries decided to start her own
concert series so she could share the live music
experience with her neighbors, other amazing bloggers, and friends.
It is meeting a woman who I felt I've known years instead of
minutes, and knowing somehow that I could trust her instantly.
It is the quiet that fills my car and the big conversations
I have in my head with myself while driving through changing landscapes.

xo
sarah

MORE to come soon on my northwest adventures like:

how hip is the seattle hipster music scene on ballard ave?
how amazing are a group of high school students in sisters?
which new songwriters blew me away?
what parking lots are safe to take a nap in your car
when the coca-cola isn't cutting it?


7 comments:

  1. Sarah, you make me cry. You are such a beautiful person, like so beautiful, it can't really be described. You just make me happy. And the moment you left my home, I missed you. I wish we were neighbors.

    I am grateful to have met you, to have experienced your gift live, and to have the opportunity to get to know you better in the future.

    Thank you for being one of the most wonderful people I've ever met!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it. That's why I do it, too.
    Lots of love.

    ~ Juliana

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so happy to share our home with you so that we can treat our friends and neighbors to the gift that is your beautiful music. I'm so glad you decided to do this for a career! I wonder sometimes, as I think about the coincidences that led me to first hear your music, how much other wonderful music is out there just waiting for me to "discover" it. Good luck and Godspeed, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, Julianna, and Aubrey...

    thank you for your thoughtful comments...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the first time ever, I've been invited to play at an out of town venue. I've been playing locally for years. but to travel is a whole new level of commitment. I'm afraid...I truly admire your spirit. and your dedication to yourself and your craft. Bravo Sarah Sample! keep on down the road...[hopefully on down to southern utah]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lyndy! You will be great at the out of town venue, it is good to stretch ourselves... :)

    xo
    s

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, you inspire me as always and this post captures so many truths that are easy to overlook. Thank you.

    -Bianca M

    ReplyDelete