Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy Birthday June!


Three years ago today I endured a long hard labor
ending in a c-section to birth my beautiful daughter
June!
I had crossed the divide from one life to the next.
I no longer was responsible just for myself. I had
created life and my life would never look the same.

I remember feeling fearful about changes that would come with
bringing a baby into the world. And what is interesting
is that most of those fears never saw the surface. And those
things I feared that did show up, paled in comparison
to the bounteous love that was overflowing for the little
peapod named June.

I remember one night on my birthday, June was just
a month and a half old. I had felt left behind all day,
the celebratory dinner was a bust, I was an emotional wreck
from sleeping 2.3 hours a night since she was born. I felt
like all the people and places that I normally found comfort
in were a wash. Instead, I remember turning to June in my arms
for comfort. In fact, she was the only one who could
give it that night. Maybe it was because the love
I had for her was so pure and untainted that
she echoed that in every breath and glance? Or
perhaps her sweet small spirit radiated something
way beyond her 10 pound frame could contain?
Regardless, in my sorrow I found love---a pure love from my child.
It was a great lesson to me. June has continually taught me
truths in the last 3 years. She is my lucky star.
I have often found myself spontaneously laughing
or smiling while watching June live her life.
I will be forever grateful that this sweet girl
calls me "mom."

Happy Birthday June. May all your princess and fairy wishes come true!

ps. I remember my friend Dom a few years ago asked if June had entered the "princess" phase. I replied no, and remember thinking, "I don't think she will go through that"- WRONG.

pss. Me- June, what do you want for your birthday?
June- CAKE CAKE CAKE!
life. is. good.

xo
s

3 comments:

  1. i love this. happy birthday june! and happy anniversary of you becoming a mama, sarah!
    xo, rhea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous story, gorgeous girls. Happy birthday June!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe she is already three! Unreal how time flies. It is great to be parents, you really are so inspiring, love you tons!

    ReplyDelete