Tuesday, May 17, 2011

finding a bit of joy

I had a moment of clarity on Sunday.
The thought came to me that I needed to
LET GO.
Surrender something over
to let something else in.

I am choosing to surrender worry right now.
I am choosing to let a quiet joy enter my heart.

I realized quiet clearly that I spend
a generous amount of time thinking about me
and what I want and what I don't have.
Not that I think I shouldn't be clear on what
I want. But I think that worrying about what I
want is a waste of space and time. Especially
when so much of the life I want is in front of me daily.

Frankly, there are so many other people and events
that deserve a spot of 'generous thinking' in my mind and heart.

Now it is only tuesday...BUT I have eaten good food.
I have been playing the piano and writing a new song.
We had some of our favorite friends over for Sunday dinner.
I have gone on a hike with my daughter and
bowling with my husband.
I have my family.


(family photo attempt while in Kerrville TX)

I have enough and I am enough.
I am happy.

xo
s

what are a few ways that you practice feeling gratitude and letting go?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, it's very timely for me as I'm settling in to Austin and feeling lots of little every day insecurities and the confusion that comes from being in a new place. In my 3rd one-on-one session with my coach I was explaining something and said, "I'm not where I want to be with my music right now." and he said, "whoa, wait a second, do you not want to be here in this room with me, sharing your songs?" That was like cold water to my face, because I did so very much want to be right there. He reminded me to be careful with my language because it creates my reality.

    I love that distinction between being clear on what you want but not worrying about wanting it. I think it's just a constant practice of remembering what I do have right in front of me right now, but definitely little gratitude journals have helped me through rough times in the past. (for me that's a list of 10 good things that happened in a day)

    I also have a playlist of songs about letting go and releasing that I listen to when I feel I need a boost. I'll tend to find one or a few songs that really resonate with that moment and listen to them a bunch. Here's a particular current fave: http://youtu.be/hUvfCA8AZIw

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a needed post for me to read. Life is simple. WE make it complicated. I feel blessed and gratitude for my life and where I am with my life today. It was such a joy to see and hear you play last night. You have become such an incredilby strong, beautiful young woman. With the upmost respect. You are a spitting image of your mom.
    Thank you for sharing your talent and adding peacefulness to my day with your music.

    ReplyDelete