Friday, September 30, 2011

The Wind Rivers





I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~John Muir, 1913

Every summer for the last nine years my husband James has taken me on
at least one backpacking adventure.

This year we choose to return to one of my favorite places;
the Green River Lakes in the upper Wind River Range in Wyoming.

We came to the Green River Lakes a few years ago, and
I told James that I wanted to return with my family. All my siblings
have real jobs or are in school and I think our last family 'camping' experience
involved a rainbow gathering when we were in grade school, no backpacks,
and a 50 lb canvas tent we only managed to drag to the trailhead. They all
have a love of being outside and hiking however, and I knew that if I could
get them to come, James could outfit them and be a great backcountry guide.
My stud of a brother, John, was on board from the beginning and he brought
his wonderful girlfriend Kelley. My Dad even came last minute despite having
foot surgery a few weeks before.

The leaves were changing to brilliant patches of gold and orange on the mountain side and seemed to be our companions on every step of the hike. The nights were cold but the daytime felt perfect. We fished, we ate good food, we told hilarious stories around a campfire, and my Dad brought his big medium format cameras to capture it all. I don't have those photos yet, but here are a few that we took...

It felt wonderful to get away from our busy lives. To have time to read a chapter in a book or sit under the aspens with a crisp apple for lunch. I loved watching James on this trip, he was in his true element and was always concerned to make everyone comfortable. The sounds of whistling leaves, waves lapping the lake shore, birds singing, and the fire cracking. Like John Muir said, I felt my hike outside was really a walk going in.




James & I at the Trailhead


My Dad, John, Kelley, and me


19 in Lake Trout. woot woot.


Upper Green River Lake, and our campsite


Hike in at lower lake, Square Top Peak is in the middle


Our dog Noodle during a cold morning, I gave her a shirt. ha.


yellow aspens on the drive out


Where is your favorite place to backpack or hike?

xo
s

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Wish we could have joined you. (always love a good john muir quote)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful place...
    we just got back from our first real family vacation~ to yellowstone.
    it was amazing!

    how refreshing to spend this time communing with family and nature.

    ReplyDelete