Thursday, December 16, 2010

time to be still

I've been thinking about the concept of slowing down and being still lately.
After a few months on the road singing songs off the new album,
I am home for a WHOLE MONTH! I know that doesn't sound like
much, but it feels like a huge amount of time to me.

While I was touring through California a few weeks ago
I played a show in the town I grew up in---Santa Barbara.
When you are driving from LA, right after you pass Ventura,
the 101 starts to follow the curve of shoreline
till you glide through Carpenteria, Montecito, then into Santa Barbara.
Every time I think--"I can't believe I grew up here."

I made an effort to go to Butterfly Beach 3 different times.


Each time I collected sea glass and pieces of pottery that the
ocean had rolled over and over till it they were sanded and smooth and wonderful.
I walked for hours and I have no idea what I thought about,
all I know is that I felt happy and everything around me seemed very simple.
Sky and sand and a setting sun and me.


I had a funny moment in CA where I realized that I was spending
a stupid amount of time trying to come up with a good 'tweet' or
update to my facebook. It is really lame. No one really needs to know
what kind of sandwich I am eating for lunch. Unless it is unforgettable.

So now that I am home I am trying to detach a little from that frantic energy
of feeling like I need to do and be a million things all in one moment.
I am trying to be a really present mother and make this holiday season as
memorable and meaningful as I can. It takes a conscious effort to not be
'plugged in' at every moment, but I am really loving reconnecting to simple things
like the sound of my daughter laughing and smell of cookies baking
and lights twinkling on my christmas tree.

I wish you a very happy holiday season.

xo
s

ps: what are ways that you make the most of the holiday season? any great traditions my family should adopt?

No comments:

Post a Comment