Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bieroc and Rehmsworld and New York

In 2007 I won a songwriting competition at the Rocky Mountain Folks Fest. That day I also won the attention of my now friend-- Dale Dueland who runs The Bieroc Listening Room along with Matt Sehnert. They invited me to come play their series in McCook Nebraska. At the time I remember wanting to check it out, but as soon as I got home from that festival I found out that was pregnant and stayed pretty close to home those months before and after June was born.
The next summer I got to play the main stage at the folks fest in Lyons, and the whole family came, including pudgy 4 month old Juniper.
Dale found me again and re-invited me to come play his venue. Wow, thank you Dale for your persistence. The Bieroc will always be one of my all time favorite shows to play. The show is held at Matt's bakery, and the whole evening is an event to remember. I played my first show at the Bieroc almost 2 years ago, and I was so thrilled to come back with my fellow birds Paul Jacobsen and Ryan Tanner. Paul opened the show and played 3 killer songs. The audience was just fantastic and their attention made us play and sing better. Dale and Matt have also reached out to their surrounding communities and helped them start their own listening room series. To be able to cross a state and have several amazing listening rooms waiting for you is such a great gift. Thank you Dale, Matt, Tor, and your families for treating us as family.

Last night we played a wonderful listening room called Rehmsworld concerts, hosted by Tim Rehm. I played Rehmsworld on my first tour through Nebraska as well, so I knew we were in for such a great night. The audience was as awesome as I had hoped. One aspect that was especially touching was talking to folks who had been at the first concert and come back for more, several even drove hours to be there. It is so wonderful. We even were blessed to have part of our Song School family come out for the evening and join us on stage for our encore. Thanks Andy, Hope, and Emily!

We played our last show in Alliance Nebraksa tonight...
It is sad to see this tour end. We have been treated so kindly by so many that it is hard to leave. I know that great shows lay ahead, but thank you from the depths of my heart to the kind and gracious communities of Nebraksa who allowed us to sing to you. I hope that you felt there was something for your in our songs.

My last big thank you is to Paul and Ryan. You both are so dear to my heart. Thank you for bringing your songs and sharing them night after night. I think your songs are some of the best and deserved to be heard.

I am off on a red-eye flight to New York tomorrow night. (where can I take a nap?) I just added a show to the calendar where I will be supporting Marketa Irglova of The Swell Season at a small show in Brooklyn.
The information is here if you live in NY and want to come support us!
Tuesday Nov. 16--8pm
Zora Space

love and corn fields...

sarah

2 comments:

  1. Love your Blog Sarah, and good luck in NYC. I would love to see that show, but can only hope that a lucky attendees will video it and post it to You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you're so enthusiastic about Nebraska. Growing up in Iowa, with family in Denver, it was just a state to drive across. LOVE that there's a thriving music scene there now!

    ReplyDelete