Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Recording!!!!


ryan tilby, me, paul jacbosen, brian hardy, ryan tanner

tilby, paul, ryan, mai


the incredible pat campbell
it wasn't all work. fun allowed too.


scott (nightrunner) wiley


appearing tonight: sarah sample & the girl muscles

it is currently 12:34 am. scratch that. now i'm back and the time is 1:05 am.
scratch that. it is now 1:42pm on the next day. ha.
everytime I sat to write this post, something came up.

we have been recording my new album this week.
i am pretty amazed how these songs are turning out.
i've been loving that we get to dress up every song.
i think we have really treated each song with care,
trying to hear what the feeling of the song needs to be
in order
to translate the best way.

we have been working all day into the night.
I am floored at the level of talent everyone
brought to the sessions.
this album sounds pretty different
than my other albums.
AND I AM IN LOVE with it!

I definitely think that the songwriting is stronger than
ever. I really have tried to follow where the inspiration takes
me when I sit down to write, and not let the editor in my mind
jump into the process until later. I know that it is when
I stop worrying about how to write a 'good' song, and I
I just follow my own voice that the writing becomes something
of substance and truth.

I have
loved being surround and supported by such
good friends.

I can't wait for you to hear these songs!!!!

We are making a video about the process of recording
this album and what my life as a songwriter looks like...
Jed Wells even filmed a little song we played live out in a park...
that will be coming soon.

As for now...It is not too late to pre-order this album and get it weeks before
everyone else. it will also help me immensely to off set the cost of recording/duplication
up front. Click here to find out more.

here is a little taste of a song we recorded this week in the studio. We (as in 10-11 of us)
played every song together,
live. there is something that makes my heart smile when I think about creating something that is really honest and true, that what you hear was really all happening in
that moment. I know there are a million ways to make a great record, but I have
loved feeling out this approach.
sorry, the lighting is not the best in this little clip, but you will get to at least have a little
taste of one of the songs :))
this is a song called "don't bury me" and the idea just came to me out of the blue. I thought about my grandpa who was a farmer, and he was literally tied to the land. there was no such thing as summer or christmas break, or paid government holidays. and I saw the character of the song as someone who had been born into a farming family and had inherited his land, but his grandfathers were all fishermen and his heart more than anything wanted to be on the sea. so it is a song about the internal struggle of a dream, that someone can feel they are destined for something and the realization that it doesn't always work out the way we want.
the chorus sings
"when they lay me down in a box
please, sail me out to sea
i've spent all my time being tied to this land
please dont, bury me. "
he reconciles his dream as maybe something that won't happen in his life...
enjoy.


xoxox
s

3 comments:

  1. oohh I can't wait to have your CD playing in my car!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, beautiful, beautiful as always. makes me homesick. can you believe it's been TEN years since i first heard you sing?! look at how far you've come!!! you are wonderful, sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and brilliant! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete